Americans spend a little more than two hours a day in the kitchen. From food prep and cooking to eating dinner and searching for snacks, Americans are in the kitchen a lot when you consider most are at work at least eight hours a day and we sleep for another large portion of the 24 hour cycle. If you’re going to spend that much of your time congregated in one space of your home, why not make it enjoyable?
Contrary to popular belief, a custom kitchen does not have to call for a second mortgage on your house. You can create the look and feel that works for your family with custom cabinet design. There are three categories of kitchen cabinets: stock cabinets, custom cabinets, and then the product in between – semi-custom cabinets.
- Stock Cabinets: Stock cabinets come in standard sizes and give you little to no option to personalize your space. The cabinets are pre-built, so you choose from what’s available and it’s installed in your kitchen, whether it offers the best use of space or not.
- Semi-Custom Cabinets: Semi-custom cabinets are built from a menu. You speak with the brand or store representative who gives you a number of options in terms of size, color, shelving, and hardware. You choose what you like based on pre-set options.
- Custom Cabinets: Custom cabinets are specifically measured to fit your kitchen space – even those strange nooks and crannies you thought useless. From beginning to end, you choose the color, size, hardware, layout, and functionality.
Because so much work and detail is put into a custom kitchen cabinet set, many believe the price is out of their range, but that simply isn’t the case. Custom cabinet design price is based on your choices, so you decided the elements of the cabinets to keep you within your budget.
Price: Custom Kitchen Cabinets vs. Stock Cabinets
The price of custom cabinet design varies depending on the size of your kitchen and the materials you use to furnish it. Partnering with a skilled custom kitchen designer is the best way to get pricing for your project, but below is a good guideline.
- Stock cabinets are the least expensive but offer you the fewest options to build the space you want. Stock cabinets cost about $60 to $200 per linear foot.
- Semi-custom cabinets typically run about 20% more expensive, with the average cost of $100 to $650 per linear foot.
- Custom cabinets are the largest investment but they also create the exact space you want and are designed to last for decades. Custom cabinets are roughly $500 to $1,200 per linear foot.
No matter the kitchen cabinet selection you make, be sure you get a quote for the work. You’ll want to get an idea of cost but also how long the project will take. The goal is to find what works best for your home. Curry & Kingston would love to meet with you about your needs and develop a custom kitchen plan that displays your personality but is still functional and efficient.